The Training Group arranges the following training programmes:
- Introduction to Spiritual Direction training course
This is a one year programme and is usually offered every other year, one day a week, three 8 week terms from September – June.
Acceptance on the course is subject to reference and interview by members of the course team.
The next course will began in September 2018
- Watering the Garden
Watering the Garden is usually a short series of further training days for practising spiritual directors and is offered every other year. Each day addresses a particular topic relevant to the development of spiritual direction practice. The next series to be held will be early in 2018.
- The six training days will be Tuesdays, 30 January, 6, 13, 20 February and 20 and 27 March at Douai Abbey.
Once the programme has been fully developed we will make all details available.
A one-off ” refresher” day was held in March 2017 but the most recent Watering the Garden training series was in January and February 2016 covering the following topics:
- Chris Chapman – Introduction to the new Spiritual Direction Guidelines
Chris is Spiritually Adviser for Southwark Diocese and a member of the small group who drafted the guidelines which were presented at the Retreat Association Conference in the summer of 2015
- Revd Rod Cosh – Healing, Deliverance & Spiritual Direction
Rod is Area Dean of Burnham and Slough, and an experienced spiritual director who has involvement in healing and deliverance ministries.
- Dr Andrew Powell – Modernity and the Beleaguered Soul
Andrew is a psychiatrist with an interest in the needs of the soul and how those needs are met.
- Mary Chamberlin – Spiritual Direction & the Creative Frame
Mary practised for many years as an Art Psychotherapist both in the NHS and charitable sectors. Informed by her Ignatian training, she works creatively with individual directees and increasingly with groups in Art and Spirituality workshops.
- Revd Dr Liz Hoare – Using the Bible in Spiritual Direction
Liz teaches spirituality at Wycliffe Hall and is a tutor in Spiritual Formation. She is ordained and worked in rural parishes in Yorkshire before coming to Oxford.
This is a course for experienced spiritual directors who wish to offer supervision and is offered when there is sufficient demand.